The NYU School of Medicine's IRB Administrative Office facilitates the review process of human subject studies at the NYU SoM, Langone Medical Center and our affiliates (Bellevue Hospital, VA Medical Center, NYU College of Dentistry, NYU School of Nursing, Gouverneur Healthcare, Woodhull Hospital Center, Nathan Kline Institute and Charles B. Wang Health Center).
Our staff provides professional guidance and support to the research community and helps researchers navigate the submission process. The IRB Administrative Office also serves as the Administrative office for Institutional Review Boards at NYU SoM.
NYU School of Medicine’s IRB Becomes First in NYC to Gain Accreditation
NYU School of Medicine’s Human Research Protections Program has been awarded full accreditation by the Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs Inc. AAHRPP is a nonprofit organization that works with organizations that conduct human research to raise the level of protection for research participants.
AAHRPP accredits organizations that can demonstrate they provide participant safeguards that surpass the threshold of state and federal requirements and therefore heightens the level of public confidence in research safety and ethical conduct of research. By establishing a "gold seal", accreditation signifies that organizations such as NYU School of Medicine are committed to the most comprehensive protections for research participants and the highest quality research.
"After a lot of hard work by its Director, Elan Czeisler and Chair, Dr. Tom Blanck and others, our Institutional Review Board has become the first New York City academic medical center to become accredited by AAHRPP. This means that our IRB and the Human Research Protection Program has received the highest mark of distinction for Institutional Review Boards, which as you know are charged with the vital task of ensuring the protection of research subject welfare." said Dr. Vivian Lee, Chief Scientific Officer, Senior Vice-President and Vice-Dean for Science for NYU Langone Medical Center.
An accredited organization demonstrates the overall excellence of its Human Research Protection Program by providing the most comprehensive protections for research participants. These high ethical and professional standards required for accreditation enhance the well-being of research participants but also have significant benefits for the organizations, sponsors, and regulators.
- Spring IRB Grand Rounds Sessions Thursday, June 6, 2013, 3pm, Skirball 3rd Floor. Laura Beskow, MPH, PhD. Ethical Approaches to Genotype-Driven Recruitment
- IRB Grand Rounds: Dr. James A. Feldman, Vice Chair for Research at Boston University School of Medicine Presents "Emergency research and the Regs: Why ignorance is NOT bliss"
- NYU School of Medicine IRB makes its mark at the 2012 Advancing Ethical Research Conference
Latest IRB Forms Update
Make sure you always obtain the latest version of IRB applications from our website. The IRB may reject applications based on form versions that are more than 30 days past the current version. A list of our most recent applications is here:
- 2014 04 07 - NYU SoM IRB Policies & Procedures Manual
- 2014 01 23 - APPENDIX: Continuation (required attachment during Research Navigator IRB Continuations)
- 2013 10 03 - Biomedical & Non-Biomedical Consent Form Templates, companion Standard Consent Language documents [English, Mandarin, Spanish, Russian]
- 2013 10 03 - Data Use Agreement
- 2013 10 03 - Consent Short Form (Hungarian)